As we begin the 2017 year, the MBDA Business Center-Atlanta would like to take the time to reflect on the amazing things that happened in 2016. We would like to share six 2016 highlights with you.
1 . March – Inaugural National MBE Manufacturers Summit 2016
On March 24th, the groundbreaking National MBE Manufacturers Summit 2016 occurred. This event was a huge milestone for the manufacturing industry. Never before has an event of this magnitude targeted specifically to Minority Business Enterprise (MBE) manufacturers convened. Summit highlights:
- Keynote Speaker, Derreck Kayongo, co-founder of the Global Soap Project and CEO of the Center for Civil and Human Rights inspired the attendees with his impactful remarks.
- Close to 200 attendees from around the country, Puerto Rico and Washington, DC assembled in one room.
- 100% attendees surveyed indicated their overall Summit satisfaction was Above Average & Outstanding.
- 19 Corporations and Original Equipment manufacturers (OEMs) participated in the Fast Pitch One-on-One Meetings.
2. June – U.S. Department of Commerce Award
The MBDA Business Center-Atlanta was awarded a cooperative agreement from the U.S. Department of Commerce for the continued operation of the center. The $1.49 million award is for a five-year period and is designed to help MBEs across the nation create jobs, develop their businesses, and compete in the global economy.
3. September- MBDA Business Center-Atlanta Relaunch
With a new team, ideas, and innovations, the MBDA Business Center-Atlanta relaunched with a five-year plan of working hard at firmly establishing the presence and future of MBEs. The Relaunch event was a big success thanks to Invest Atlanta’s CEO, Dr. Eloisa Klementich who helped attendees discover great programs and resources that are both unique to Invest Atlanta and directly applicable to the Center’s clients.
4. October – Donna Ennis Named One of ABL’s 100 Women of Influence
Each year the Atlanta Business League creates a list of senior level professionals, influencers in their respective fields, and leaders in the communities called 100 Women of Influence. We are proud that the MBDA Business Center-Atlanta Project Director Donna Ennis was selected for this accomplishment.
5. November – Clients Receive National Recognition
During the National Minority Enterprise Development Week (MED Week) and the National Minority Supplier Development Council (NMSDC) annual meeting, MBDA Business Center-Atlanta clients shined. Summit Packaging Solutions won the MBDA Minority Manufacturing Firm of the Year and SquarePac LTD came home with the NMSDC Regional Class 1 Supplier of the Year and MBEs Who Rock awards.
6. Advanced Manufacturing Project Award
The MBDA Business Center-Atlanta was one of four organizations to be awarded the Advanced Manufacturing Project (AMP) by the U.S. Department of Commerce MBDA. The award is a 5-year cooperative agreement for $250,000 per year. The primary goal of this program is to increase business opportunities for and the profitability of our clients.
We would also like to highlight the groups that chose to become a strategic partner to the MBDA Business Center-Atlanta. Our strategic partners are a great help to us and we thank them for all that they do to support our continued efforts to help MBEs.
- Access to Capital for Entrepreneurs (ACE)
- Atlanta Business League (ABL)
- Fulcro Insurance
- Georgia Hispanic Construction Association (GHCA)
- Georgia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (GHCC)
- Greater Women’s Business Council (GWBC)
- Healthcare Supplier Diversity Alliance (HSDA)
- U.S. Pan Asian American Chamber of Commerce of the Southeast (USPAACC-SE)
- Urban League of Greater Atlanta (ULGA)
We wouldn’t have been able to enjoy such an amazing year without the continued support of our clients, strategic partners, stakeholders, and our readers. The MBDA Business Center-Atlanta looks forward to continuing this pattern of success in 2017 and beyond.